Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Blue Suede Shoes: Excerpt 5

Just ask him, Clarissa. Quit being such a pansy. She knew she needed to apologize to him and also thank him properly for saving her life last week, but she’d hoped the bottle of wine she’d had Lucy send to his office would have been enough. Clarissa wanted to avoid seeing him face to face until she was ready to make her plea. Well, it’s now or never.
“I wanted to talk to you, Dr. Norman,” Clarissa said, her voice perfectly smooth.
“Please, call me Ryan,” he said. “I think we’re past the point of proper little conversations, seeing as how I saved your life and all.”
Her eyes flashed. The man couldn’t even let her properly apologize, and he refused to let the matter drop. As long as he didn’t mention the other part, she would be fine. “Dr. Norman,” she said, purposefully emphasizing his name. Her face was stony as she attempted to regain control of the situation.
“I wanted to thank you again for saving my life last week,” she started.
“Please, it was nothing,” he smirked again. “I got my thanks when my Coke spilled.” The last sentence was said in a husky whisper and she knew just what he meant.
Flushing, she felt her insides quake at the memory of his eyes raking over her body, but she held herself together, refusing to take the bait.
He pushed again. “I’m not Superman, Clarissa, so I’m using my imagination this time,” he said, taunting her. “But believe me, my imagination is very good, and my memory is even better.”
She felt the sting in her hand as it connected with his cheek. Her eyes were glued to his, and his were shocked. All eyes were on her, including those of the children. Embarrassment flooded her entire body, giving her the shakes.

“Ooh, kitty has claws,” Ryan whispered, one eyebrow raised in interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment